Wednesday 12 April 2017

Quilt Tag Label Tutorial


On the Wonky Stars Baby quilt that I finished recently I decided to add a tag label in the binding edge instead of my usual flat label stitched to the quilt backing.  I thought I might share how I did it in a wee quick tutorial just in case you are interested (and so that I have a reference for the measurements in future).

All seams are scant 0.25".


You will need to cut:
1 piece 4.75" x 1.5" of fabric for the written section of your tag label.
2 pieces 4.75" x 0.75" of contrasting fabric for top and bottom borders of the label.


Fold the fabric for your written label centre in half so that you know where the front and back will separate.  You can just about see the crease in my photo above.  Lay the fabric on a lined page and write the label with a suitable fabric pen.  (The lined page is simply providing you with a guide for writing, so you may choose not to use it.)  Remember to leave seam allowances clear of any writing.  Set your pen according to the manufacturer's instructions.  (My pen is set by pressing with a hot iron.) Also take care that you know which half of your label will be the front and which the back of your finished label and write your message and details accordingly.  As you can see below, I made this rookie error and ended up with my open side of the label in the wrong place the first time I tried.



Oops!  


Stitch the contrasting fabric strips to your label centre, one to the top and one to the bottom.  Press the seams open to help distribute the fabric bulk more evenly in the next stages).



Now fold your label in half, right sides together, and stitch across the top and bottom (where I have pinned).


Carefully snip away the corners on the folded side of your label (not the open side).  This reduces the fabric bulk when turning. Turn the label though, gently pressing out the corners (I use a crochet hook) and flatten the seams into position. Press.

Now you have a label with a folded edge and an open edge (see my Oops! picture a little way above).


After you have stitched the binding to the front of your quilt, line the open edge of your label along the back edge of your quilt where you want to position the tag label.  Stitch the label in place along the same seam line as binding (or just inside it).


Then, as you are stitching your binding down to finish on the back of your quilt, you can catch the label in and voila! one beautifully tag labelled quilt.

It worked for me and I hope to use it on some future quilts too, though maybe not all.  If you prefer a flat label stitched to the quilt backing, I have a tutorial for one here.





2 comments:

  1. thanks foe this tutorial will be doing this on my next quilt, I usually I just write on a piece of calico with a permanent pen and stitch it on this is much more professional

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely tutorial, Sarah! I'm going to try this on my next quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I do try to respond to every comment, but forgive me if occasionally time does not permit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...